ATTENTION ALL DEBIT CARD HOLDERS
Heritage Credit Union has been alerted to a “vishing” fraud attack against Shazam debit card holders. The attack consists of an automated telephone call which a prerecorded voice advises the recipient that the call is on behalf of Shazam and that the cardholder must “reactivate” his or her card by entering information immediately. These calls are FRAUDULENT and have not been authorized by Shazam.
Take steps to avoid being vished:
- If you get a phone call and someone asks you to give or confirm credit card or personal information, hang up. Then call your credit union or financial institution that issued the card by using the phone number on the back of the card or on your statement and report the attempt. If the call was legitimate, the provider will know it.
- If you get a call from someone who claims to be from a financial institution you do business with, and who knows your credit card account number but wants the three digit code on the back of the card, immediately hang up.
- If you get an e-mail message asking you to call a toll-free number to verify account information, delete the e-mail. Never provide personal information or account information based on an e-mail request.
Please note that we do not ever solicit members via email for the purpose of “updating or refreshing” personal information. Members should be very aware of this because any email attempt to obtain your personal account information is likely a “phishing” or “vishing” scam. If you want to avoid identity theft, a good practice is NEVER respond to email requests for sensitive personal information.
If you’re a victim
If you have replied to any “phishing” or “vishing” scams, it is important to report it right away. Call Heritage Credit Union at 1-866-269-9880 so the appropriate action can be taken.
ATTENTION ALL HERITAGE VISA CREDIT CARD HOLDERS
PLEASE DO NOT GIVE OUT ANY CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION WHEN ACCESSING YOUR VISA CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT THROUGH eZCardInfo.com. IF YOU ARE PROMPTED TO ENTER PERSONAL INFORMATION, IMMEDIATELY CLOSE THE BROWSER AND CALL 866-269-9880 TO REPORT THE ATTEMPT.
Please note that Heritage Credit Union does not ever solicit members for personal information.
New Phishing Schemes in Use
The criminals are relentess. This time the fraudsters are including the names and other personal information in the e-mails so the messages appear legitimate. The e-mails appear to come from government agencies such as, the U.S. Department of Justice, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Social Security Administration, or the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
The e-mail ask you to click on a hyperlink to view a complaint. The hyperlink contains a virus software that monitors user name and password logins and records any activity on the compromised machine. Since the virus software is wrapped in a screensaver file most anti-virus programs are unable to detect the software.
Remember never open any unsolicited e-mails and do not click on any links provided. Also government agencies do not initiate communications via e-mail.
Actions You Can Take:
- Do not open unsolicited personalized e-mails that appear to come from government agencies.
- Use Internet Explorer 7 as your default Web browser. It includes Microsoft Phishing to protect you from Web fraud by warning or blocking you from reported phishing Web sites.
- Use anti-virus software and keep it up to date.
- Use anti-spyware software and keep it up to date.
- Use a firewall and keep it up to date. [/tab]